Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Why "mad" and why "pontoon"?

Long gone are days when I thought "if it's a standard, it's indeed a standard". So is web, based on a "standard", quite a strict one in fact. So strict, that the DOCTYPE! declaration that begins a page's code states so, oh so many times. Yet ...

Partly thanks to the gurus at Microsoft, we seem to be ages before strict definition of a "standard" is applied in web progamming/design. As I stated earlier, I'm relative virgin in web programing, so I'm just finding these things out, as I work on my first "pure" web site.

It is good (without question) that W3C consortium was set to oversee web development and that many great programmers and designers joined in to help the process. It is NOT good at all however, that some (Microsoft leading the pack) decided against conforming to what, in general, has been agreed to.

So here comes the herd of browsers, each with some inconsistencies, yet most fairly close together (outside of the Internet Explorer). How in the world has this happened? All things considered it is almost incomprehensible to see the trend continuing on for so long.

Needles to say, I'm ... MAD.

As I'm finding out what the process of designing an efficient and manageable web site involves, I'm beginning to see how it all floats around , without any attachments, only to come together in the end. Often times you feel being controlled by the elements and uncertain about the final outcome. In the end, so long as the process, advice, and conventional wisdom is followed, it creates a package worth further investigation. Sort of like sitting in a pontoon, feeling uneasy until the acquired skill brings it all safely to its final destination.

And that's the Mad Pontoon!

...

No comments: